Islamophobia has been defined as the "unfounded hostility towards Muslims, and therefore fear or dislike of all or most Muslims." In a 1991 Runnymede Trust Report, Islamophobes were defined as individuals or groups who hold the following beliefs:
- Islam is monolithic and cannot adapt to new realities
- Islam does not share common values with other major faiths
- Islam, as a religion, is inferior to the West. It is archaic, barbaric, and irrational.
- Islam is a religion of violence and supports terrorism.
- Islam is a violent political ideology.
Unfortunately, many of the individuals and/or groups who promote such views have extreme religious or political agendas.
To learn more about Islamophobia and Islamophobes, see the following documents and websites: