The ISM can provide your group or class with knowledgeable individuals who are qualified to address a wide variety of topics. Speaking programs can be conducted at your place or at the Islamic Center.
Our speakers are dedicated to raising awareness about the Muslim communiy, the Islamic faith, dispelling myths and stereotypes about Islam and Muslims, exposing Islamophobia, and providing information about our local Muslim community. Our speakers have addressed school groups from grade school to college, church groups, professional groups (nurses, law enforcement, etc.), business groups, and many others.
Topics that our speakers have covered include the following (speakers are not limited to these topics!):
- Muslim Beliefs and Practices
- The Qur’an (the Muslim Scripture)
- Muhammad (PBUH), the final Messenger of Islam
- The Concept of Compassion in Islam
- Islam, Christianity and Islam: A Comparative Discussion
- Muslim History (usually a particular time in Muslim history is focused on)
- Islam and violence/extremism
- Roles/rights/responsibilities of women in Islam
- Islam and Social Justice
- Current Events in the Muslim World, including any one or more of the following:Islamic Art and Architecture
- Arab Spring and Muslim political organizations
- Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Palestine and the Israeli occupation
- Importance of Jerusalem to Muslims
- Muslim Contributions: Scientists, Thinkers and Artists
Specialized topics include:
- Health Care Practitioners and the Muslim Patient
- What should teachers know about their Muslim students?
- Muslim Religious practices related to death and burial
- Muslim Dietary Requirements
- The Challenge of Muslim Refugees from Iraq, Somalia, Afghanistan and Burma